I missed out on a few months of reviewing this spring due to illness but, thankfully, I found some fantastic cigars to make this list. My tastes are on display for all to see.
As last year, Bespoke Cigars makes the top of the list. The cigars following the Bespoke were all very close.
I’m often asked how I rate cigars and what my system is. It’s called life experience. Almost 50 years of smoking cigars.
I recently read how Cigar Aficionado rates their cigars:
1. Appearance/Construction: up to 15 points
2. Smoking Characteristics: up to 25 points
3. Flavor: up to 25 points
4. Overall impression: up to 35 points
In the end, ratings don’t matter as much as the impression the blend had on me. After all, the palate is very subjective. There is no such thing as a perfect rating system. CA’s system doesn’t use a computer or algorithms to rate their cigars. They don’t use a parabolic curve or quantum physics.
They all, no matter how complex, require human input…and therefore, fallible.
1. Bespoke Cigars Gran Mareva
2. Padron Family Reserve 50 Years Natural
3. GB-19 by Nomad Cigar Co.
4. Black Label Trading Company Bishops Blend
5. Warped Cigars Lirio Rojo
6. Martial Law by Nomad Cigar Co.
7. Crowned Heads Luminosa
8. Daddy Mac by Cornelius & Anthony
9. Arandoza 5th Anniversary
10. BLK WKS Studio NBK by Black Label Trading Co.
11. Southern Draw Code Duello Kudzu
12. RoMa Craft Tobac Intemperance Whiskey Rebellion 1794
13. Rocky Patel Special Reserve Sun Grown Maduro
14. The Tabernacle by Foundation Cigar Co.
15. Mi Querida by Dunbarton Tobacco & Trust
16. Cornelius by Cornelius & Anthony
17. My Father The Judge
18. Hiram & Solomon Master Mason
19. Casa Fernandez Guardian of the Farm Campeon
20. Warped Cigars Maestro del Tiempo
21. Matilde Quadrata Torpedo
22. Nomad SA-17
23. Hoyo La Amistad by AJ Fernandez
24. Ohana Pulse Habano
25. AVO Syncro Nicaragua Fogata
Categories: THE KATMAN'S TOP 25 CIGARS OF 2016